Europcar, the UKs leading vehicle rental business and the largest supplier of vans for daily rental has revealed a marked 15% increase in van rentals to consumers year on year. Whether its for a trip to the local dump, storage facilities, to collect or deliver online purchases, or for home moves, the rise in van rentals could be attributed to a growing thriftiness amongst UK consumers as the credit crunch continues to bite.
To support this demand, Europcar has extended its fleet to include 50% more tail lifts vital for the lone driver needing to transport items to or from home without help. And to encourage safe driving, Europcar is offering its top tips for van driving:
Europcars Top Tips for Van Driving
Before starting your trip: ·
– Check your mirrors are all set correctly so that you can see as much as the road as possible. – Ask someone to guide you out if you need to back out of a space. – Make sure the doors are securely locked at the back or on the side of the vehicle.
– Check with the rental company the height of the vehicle.
When out on the road:·
– Remember you will need a bigger braking distance as the vehicle will me much heavier than a normal car so dont get too close to the vehicle in front.
– You will need to take turns and corners much slower than you would in a car.
– Check your route for bridges and overpasses you may find a route you use regularly in a car is no longer accessible due to the clearance height.
– Be aware of trees which may be overhanging the road.
– Ensure any loose loads are properly secured.
– Ensure that you signal well in advance of making a manoeuvre and make changes slowly.
Catriona Lougher, Marketing Director for Europcar said: With the slowdown in the economy, homeowners need to watch their pockets. The increase in van rentals certainly seems to indicate a savvy attitude to this slowdown as consumers look for more cost-effective means to chuck out the chintz, do some home improvements or simply move unwanted furniture or belongings into storage. Renting a van for a few hours is often far more cost-effective than having items delivered and with the popularity of sales on auction sites, its a great way to transport a bargain home.
Notes to Editors
Owned by the French private equity firm Eurazeo, Europcar is the European leader in passenger car and light utility vehicle rentals. Since March 2007 with the acquisition of Vanguard EMEA (National & Alamo brands), its network comprises over 5,300 rental outlets in 160 countries. Europcar serves business and leisure customers throughout Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and the Asia-Pacific region. Excluding franchise operations, in 2007 Europcar signed more than 10 million rental contracts, with 7,700 employees and a fleet exceeding 215,000 vehicles. For more information: www.europcar.com
For further press information please contact Maddy Roles, Dominic Dennis, Elinor Puzey, Jenny Staniforth or Alison Reeson at HSL on 0208 977 9132 or at firstname.lastname@example.org